Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. System Analyst (EMS) I, II, III or Senior (IRC23026) in Westminster, Colorado
Responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of Tri-State's Energy Management System (EMS) software systems that provide real time monitoring and control of Tri-State's transmission system and generation resources.
NOTE: There is one position available and this position will be filled at either the Systems Analyst I (Job Grade NB17), Systems Analyst II (Job Grade NB19), Systems Analyst III (NB21) or Senior Systems Analyst (NB23). This decision will be based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs EMS/SCADA (Energy Management System/Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) software derived from the analysis of internal and external customer requests.
- Performs EMS/SCADA software program development, including coding, testing, implementation and documentation.
- Coordinates EMS/SCADA software testing activities with other Tri-State functional areas.
- Develops and maintains standards and procedures for EMS/SCADA software.
- Provides technical support to EMS/SCADA personnel as needed.
- Serves as the primary point of contact with other electric utilities, Tri-State Members, and external agencies for the purpose of gathering and sharing related EMS/SCADA power system data as required for the real-time operation of the bulk power system.
- Responsible for the maintenance and operation of the EMS/SCADA Inter-Control Center Communications Protocol (ICCP) functionality.
- Responsible for the maintenance and operation of the EMS/SCADA data historian.
- Adhere to company policies, programs and procedures as well as Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP), Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), and Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO) standards and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws and regulations.
- Safety: Maintain safety awareness and comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment. Properly wear and care for applicable safety gear and equipment. Identify and communicate unsafe conditions to supervisor, coworkers, and the Safety functional area and correct or assist in resolving safety concerns and issues. Must understand and comply with the Clearance Procedure as applicable.
- Culture: Demonstrate a commitment to Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and issues in the real time systems industry to include equipment, configurations and vendor capabilities.
- Must travel on assignment as required. (Must possess a current and valid driver's license.)
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: Ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: the ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Technical skills in the application of principles and practices of computer science and information systems including basic computer hardware, software applications, and operating systems.
- Commitment to company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player.
- Advanced computer proficiency in applications programming, software troubleshooting, and relational databases.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related area or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Training and/or equivalent experience in the areas of electric utility real time systems, such as applications software development, advanced power applications and system configurations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Ability to apply principles and practices of computer science and information systems.
- Ability to apply principles and practices of basic computer hardware, operating systems and software applications.
- Ability to apply principles and practices of applications programming, software troubleshooting, and relational databases including queries, tables, functions, and stored procedures.
- Abilities to apply principles and procedures of quality assurance and security related to computer applications.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to apply project management phases, techniques and tools.
- Ability to make clear, consistent, and timely decisions.
- Ability to maintain clear and open communication with peers and customers.
- Ability to maintain cooperation and collaboration.
- Ability to work in partnership with other teams and functional areas.
- Ability to deliver high quality and innovative service to internal/external customers.
- Eight (8) years of progressive related experience as an EMS/SCADA (Energy Management System/Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system analyst.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Electric utility EMS/SCADA system experience preferred.
- Knowledge of process control and control systems: ABB, Itron IEE MDM, DNP3, ICCP.
- Experience with C, Visual Basic and .Net programming languages.
- Experience with the HP-UX operating system.
- Experience with Oracle database administration.
The above requirements describe the experience and education qualifications for the Senior Systems Analyst. Those with less experience will be hired at the Level I, II, III
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, and bend. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to read, write, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, direct/supervise others, present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to moderate level of noise. Majority of duties are performed indoors primarily at a desk.
Job Title: System Analyst (EMS) I, II, III or Senior (IRC23026)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Headquarters, Westminster
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran