Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Engineer I, II, III or IV (Civil/Structural Design-Transmission Line) (IRC22085) in Westminster, Colorado
Responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating civil/structural engineering design activities and implementing design policy for the construction of electric transmission line facilities. Establishes and performs civil/structural engineering analyses for transmission facilities. Develops/coordinates project schedules and budgets. Develops/coordinates the development of contracts, technical specifications, and drawing bid packages.
Note: There is one position available and this position will be filled at either the Engineer I, II, III or IV level. This decision will be based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of the hire.
Duties (Duties listed below are for a Engineer IV. Duties for a Engineer I, II or III are similar but may be less in overall scope, responsibility and accountability.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and perform civil/structural engineering analyses for electric transmission line facilities.
- Develop/coordinate project schedules and budgets.
- Develop/coordinate the development of contracts, technical specifications, and drawing bid packages.
- Conduct/coordinate design review meetings for projects assigned.
- Establish civil/structural design requirements and standards for electric transmission line facilities.
- Prepare construction design packages that maintain the scope, schedule, and budget of projects assigned.
- Participate in the selection of consulting firms and coordinate their civil/structural design activities.
- Serve as engineering contact to Project Management on assigned projects.
- Direct the work of others, as required.
- Assist with training of personnel.
- Prepare reports and special projects, as required.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the annual budget.
- Coordinate the capital construction projects resulting from routine maintenance assessments with transmission line maintenance personnel.
- Support the development and maintenance of PLS-CADD models, AutoCAD Drawings, and databases (MS Access, SQL, etc.) for Transmission Line data and information.
- Support the Maintenance, Asset Management, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and other Transmission business unit groups for Transmission Line Engineering needs.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or related engineering discipline.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Extensive knowledge of civil/structural design of transmission line and/or substations through 345 kV.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and practices relating to civil engineering, including computer program applications.
- Extensive knowledge of safety policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of government regulations and industry standards affecting electric utilities.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written.
- The Engineer IV required eight (8) years progressive experience in design and construction management of civil/structural and maintenance in electric utility related programs. Those with less experience would be hired at a lower job grade level.
- Proficiency in PLS-CADD and AutoCAD software and MS Access or SQL databases preferred.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Colorado is preferred or eligible by reciprocity for Colorado Registration.
- Willingness to travel as required. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level up to 10 lbs. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Incumbent must have finger dexterity, good vision, good color vision, good hearing, and ability to speak clearly, and handle intricate work.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to dust and exposed to electrical risks, works around large industrial operating equipment.
This job description is not all inclusive but rather serves as a general guideline of the current needs of the position and can be modified at the discretion of management to meet current business needs. Experience and education requirements are the primary basis for awarding this position, however substitutions that are essentially equivalent may be made as they relate to the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.
Job Title: Engineer I, II, III or IV (Civil/Structural Design-Transmission Line) (IRC22085)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Westminster, Colorado
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran