Dominion Energy Engineer III - Civil/Geotechnical in WARM SPRINGS, Virginia
Engineer III - Civil/Geotechnical
Date:Sep 14, 2017
Location:WARM SPRINGS, VA, US, 24484
Dominion Energy is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 25,700 megawatts of generation, 14,400 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline, and 6,500 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion Energy operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 1 trillion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves more than 6 million utility and retail energy customers.
Our company is built on a proud legacy of public service, innovation and community involvement. In addition to our core energy production, transportation and storage businesses, we invest in communities where we live and work and by practicing responsible environmental stewardship wherever we operate.
Diversity is linked to every aspect of our business to include how we attract, develop and retain our future talent. An inclusive environment encourages the coming together of different talents, thoughts and energies. The company’s commitment to employing military veterans through the Troops to Energy Jobs program is one way we are able to ensure workforce diversity.
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
Dominion’s Bath County Power Station, a pumped storage hydro station, in (Warm Springs VA) seeks a candidate for an experienced Engineer III to take a lead role responsible for all engineering and geotechnical aspects of the station geotechnical program providing technical expertise to ensure the day-to-day operation, monitoring and maintenance of high-pressure tunnels and drainage tunnels, dam safety monitoring and civil structure site assessment, maintenance and repair is performed at the highest standard. As a senior team member, the incumbent will provide guidance and training to geotechnical specialists, technicians and tunnel maintenance crew members. Core responsibilities include but are not limited to: Overseeing and performing data collection and analysis; developing instrument and equipment specifications; performing civil structure, tunnel and dam safety inspections; regulatory reporting; reviewing emergency action plans; developing maintenance and repair plans to support maintenance activities; performing slope stability analyses for cut slopes, embankment slopes, and sediment pond slopes, using hand and computer methods; acting as subject matter expert for station management and other groups in the areas of civil/geotechnical engineering and dam safety; providing engineering support to station operations and maintenance personnel; and performing other duties as requested or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
1) Minimum of seven (7) years combined applicable experience in the Geotechnical and Dam Safety fields; 2) Knowledge of civil engineering and soil mechanics principles, standards and concepts; 3) Knowledge of or ability to develop knowledge of industry codes, state and federal governmental regulations, and company policies and procedures; 4) Knowledge and proficiency in the use of computer software to assist in the preparation of reports, presentations, etc. (Microsoft Office products); 5) Prefer knowledge of computer codes necessary to perform civil/geotechnical and/or dam analysis and engineering; 6) Strong written and oral communication skills for inspection report writing, presentations, and updates to management, station employees and regulatory agencies related to the Station Geotechnical Program; 7) Full knowledge of principles of hydrogeology; 8) Knowledge of business financial and contractual matters; 9) Skilled in the knowledge and use of advanced engineering techniques; 10) Strong planning and project management skills; 11) Strong technical and organizational leadership skills; 12) Ability to think analytically and to solve complex problems; 13) Ability to process information quickly and to effectively manage multiple tasks; 14) Equally effective working independently or in a team environment; 15) Strong leadership skills with proven ability to serve as team project lead; 16) Ability to provide guidance to less experienced team members; 17) Ability to work in a boat, on land or underground and do so independently;18) Ability to and be comfortable driving in off-road conditions;19) Must have a valid driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications:1)7+ years of directly related professional experience;2) Ability to demonstrate GIS experience;
3) Geotechnical data review and analysis experience;4) Experience and knowledge of drilling and grouting concepts and applications;
5) Geotechnical instrumentation experience;
6) Experience with Geotechnical Data Acquisition and Reporting Software;
7) Experience with evaluating deformation survey data
8) PE preferred.
Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Engineering(Engineering Technology degrees are not acceptable for this position.)
Strongly prefer:Civil Engineering degree with a Geotechnical, Hydrology/Hydraulics and/or Dam Engineering focus
We prefer (not required) a current valid United States Professional Engineer licenseand the ability to obtain the PE license by reciprocity in Virginia and in other states in which Dominion does business.
Other Education and Disciplines
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, one of the following criteria must be met:
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based upon the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET.
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the countries own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the countries accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved.
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET.
Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry or Math and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET.
Holds a current valid Professional Engineer license.
Energized Wires Up to 25%
Travel Up to 25%
Loud Noise 26-50%
Office Work Environment 51-75%
Confined Spaces 26-50%
Dust / Grease / Oil Up to 25%
Fumes Up to 25%
Heat Up to 25%
Pressurized Lines & Valves Up to 25%
No Testing Required
Dominion is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Nearest Major Market:CharlottesvilleNearest Secondary Market:VirginiaJob Segment:Hydraulics, Geotechnical Engineering, Geology, Civil Engineer, Engineer, Engineering