Arizona Public Service Protection & Control Technician/ Senior Technician - Distribution Automation in United States
The Transmission & Distribution Operations Business Unit is seeking a Protection & Control Technician/Senior Technicianwho will perform and/or direct personnel in the Installation, Commissioning, and Maintenance of Advanced Grid Technologies (AGT) equipment. May be responsible for installation, shakedown, testing, maintenance and repair of protection, metering, and control system equipment to ensure safe and reliable operation of the Company's transmission and distribution facilities.
P&C; Technician - Equivalent to a High school diploma and three (3) years related experience.
P&C; Technician Senior - Equivalent to a High school diploma and five (5) years related experience.
Additional Requirements Include:
Demonstrated technical leadership skills. Understand three phase AC theory and be able to use vectors. Understand zones of protection considering potential ramifications to the system. Understand the different types and functions of relays. Ability to work on all types of supervisory equipment used by APS. Understand the functionality of control schematics. Ability to travel statewide, to spend approximately 80% of time in the field working outdoors, and to work overtime. Demonstrated experience in substation design concepts/practices relating to substation controls. A thorough understanding of protection, metering, and control concepts. The ability to apply and solve mathematical formulas using algebra and trigonometry. Familiarity with electronic circuit fundamentals. Demonstrated personal computer skills including working knowledge of both hardware fundamentals and software applications.
- Develop new and/or redline existing control drawings for field engineered substation and supervisory or automated transmission and distribution line equipment construction projects. Assist project coordinator by yellow lining and modifying (if necessary) primarily complex projects.
- Provide protection, metering, and control technical services that are integrated with planning and operational needs, reliably and cost effectively: troubleshoot protection, metering, and control system failures and problems.
- Conduct shakedown, modify, calibrate and functional test new and existing substation and supervisory or automated transmission and distribution line equipment electrical equipment.
- Lead evaluation and integration projects of new technology in order to reduce capital and O&M; costs and improve overall system reliability.
- Install and integrate new electrical equipment into new or existing energized substation of transmission and distribution lines for primarily complex jobs.
- Assume a leadership role in the continuous development and application of company and industry standards wherever appropriate and maintain thorough documentation of all system designs and field changes.
- Functional test new and modified control schemes in preparation for energizing new or simple and complex retrofitted electrical equipment. Assure operations personnel that new substation and supervisory or automated transmission and distribution line electrical equipment can be safely energized & placed in normal operation.
- Effectively communicate with our internal customers to assess their needs and facilitate their understanding of any technical opportunities or limitations that may exist.
- Assure operations personnel that new substation and supervisory or automated transmission and distribution line electrical equipment can be safely energized and placed in normal operation.
- Produce professional technical reports and other correspondence as required without guidance. Update all related records, track project costs and reconcile variances.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Job Title: Protection & Control Technician/ Senior Technician - Distribution Automation
Job ID: 20170867
Full/Part Time: Full-Time