City of Tacoma WA Court Clerk in Tacoma, Washington
*Please Note the Following Important Information: *
"Do Not" Re-apply if you have applied within the last year. Duplicate applications will not be accepted.
Tacoma, the City of Destiny, has a workforce of dedicated, talented employees with unique skills and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement. Those who call Tacoma home have access to a diverse population, affordable housing, and a gateway to Puget Sound, Mount Rainier National Park, and the Olympic Peninsula.
The City of Tacoma Municipal Court is seeking a full-time Court Clerk to join their team. The ideal candidate will have excellent oral and writing skills; ability to handle multiple priorities at once; be a problem-solver; have strong customer-service skills; provide assistance to the public regarding court dates, fines and court procedures; process cases before and after court hearings; process paperwork received by mail or in person; filing; ability to a handle large volume of paperwork; and be proficient with Microsoft Office products. This is a high stress position that requires the ability to be politically astute and sensitive to issues that involve a diverse audience. Duties include performing data entry and case processing tasks using the Judicial Information System. Hours of work are generally 8:00 am - 5:00 pm but can vary.
The City of Tacoma offers a generous program of employee benefits:
- Outstanding working conditions and an exceptional quality-of-life environment
- Medical coverage for eligible employees, spouses/domestic partners and dependents, including children up to age 26
- Vision care with VSP for employees and eligible dependents enrolled in the Regence PPO medical plan with vision benefits
- Dental coverage for eligible employees and their elected dependents, including dependent children up to the age of 26
- Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code
- Personal time off
- Paid holidays
- A great pension plan
City of Tacoma Recruitment:
One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
An equivalent combination of graduation from high school including or supplemented by courses in business or criminal justice AND two years of increasingly responsible court-related clerical experience.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check and fingerprinting.
Knowledge & Skills
- Policies, procedures and practices of the Municipal Court
- Community resource and referral programs and their application to the Court
- City, County and State agencies and offices involved in court-related activities
- City ordinances and State laws and regulations
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
- Record-keeping techniques
- Operation of a computer terminal
- Oral and written communications skills
- Telephone techniques and etiquette
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy SKILLS:
Perform a wide variety of complex court-related clerical duties accurately
- Deal effectively with defendants and the public in high-stress situations
- Process arrest warrants accurately and in accordance with the law
- Operate courtroom electronic recording equipment
- Operate a variety of standard office machines and equipment including typewriter, microfiche, duplicating machines and computer terminal
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain accurate records
- Type at an acceptable rate of speed
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter describing your experience, training, and expertise as it relates to the responsibilities of this position. Applications received without the required resume and cover letter will not progress in the selection process. Only those applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as stated above will move forward in the recruitment process.
This classification is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and the Local 483 IBEW Union. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or neogov.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
Should you have any questions about this position please call Human Resources at (253) 591-5400 before the closing date.
Salary: $20.27 - $25.98 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 4321 - B17
Department: Municipal Court
Closing: 6/27/2017 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764.