City of Tacoma WA Community Relations Officer – Media in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Public Utilities is seeking a dynamic communications professional who will help build and launch Tacoma Public Utilities' content strategy for traditional and social media channels.
The ideal candidate has positive, established relationships with the Seattle/Tacoma print and broadcast media. The person can identify newsworthy stories within the organization and can successfully develop and pitch them to the media.
The Community Relations Officer, an expert in social media best practices, will increase community engagement and build awareness of the services the utility provides that are vital to our quality of life.
The Community Relations Officer will unearth items of interest and create written and video content to push out through traditional and social media.
The ideal candidate has a natural curiosity and is a master storyteller. He/she honestly likes people and is intrigued by employees and customers. As a voice for the organization, the Community Relations Officer's communication style needs to be friendly, well-spoken and respectful. He/she must be able to stay calm under pressure.
The Community Relations Officer is part of the Public Affairs and Communications team, and reports to the Community & Media Services manager.
Working in collaboration with the Community & Media Services manager, the community relations officer will:
- Develop, oversee and implement a content strategy for print, broadcast and social media
- Identify, develop and pitch stories that result in positive media coverage
- Write and deliver news releases, talking points and bios
- Plan media events
- Build new and leverage existing relationships with the regional media in a variety of channels
- Lead the development of an online news room
- Serve as a backup public information officer
- Generate compelling written and video social media content
- Coordinate social media messaging with the Marketing Communications team, post content and respond to inquiries and comments
- Measure social media influence and effectiveness
- Identify opportunities for key utility leaders to participate in media activities
- Support the development of a crisis communication plan, and respond to crises when needed
- Successfully collaborate with key internal teams
City of Tacoma Recruitment One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
- Experience as a broadcast or print reporter preferred; established media, broadcast communications and/or media relations experience required
- Superb writing and editing skills
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Creative thinker and storyteller
- Self-starter and team player with a collaborative style and ability to build strong relationships
- Strong knowledge of public relations
- Proven experience using publicity and social media to tell an organization's story
- Proven solid relationships with Seattle/Tacoma media
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
An equivalent combination to: graduation from a four-year college or university with specialization in journalism, public relations, business or public administration or a related field and two years' experience in community relations or public information for a public entity or large organization.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested candidates can please send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: $73,320.00 - $93,995.20 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Department: Community & Media Services
Job Number: 1211-17
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764.