Westar Energy Plant Outage and Contract Scheduler in St. Mary’s, United States
Title: Plant Outage and Contract Scheduler
Job Number: COA004M
JOB TITLE: Plant Outage and Contract Scheduler
LOCATION: Jeffrey Energy Center, St. Mary’s, KS
PAY GRADE: PR5, CR3
PR5- $64,200 - $80,200
CR3- $72,500 - $90,600
Scheduled Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Additional hours as required to coordinate planned and unplanned outages)
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Outage & Contract Manager, the Plant Outage Scheduler seeks to improve plant reliability through effective outage and contractor coordination.
Specific duties include:
- Provides specific schedules for our plants planned and unplanned outages using multiple templates.
- Plan critical/parallel path work, responsible for progression of outage readiness index (ORI).
- Complete review of post outage summaries with improvement actions moving forward.
- Coordinate routine/emergent contractor work and vendor services to maintain uninterrupted operations of the plant.
- Coordinate contractor activities including Lock Out, Tag Out and other work permits, pre-job briefings, work quality, productivity, and cost control.
- Actively lead in the Outage Readiness Index (ORI) for contracted outage work.
- Oversee development of Critical/Parallel Path Schedules for contracted work.
- Provide timely updates of contractor work for all assigned projects.
- Document contractor work by maintaining accurate historical files for each project managed.
- Participate in plant project critiques and incorporate changes in a continuous improvement effort.
- Work within the purchasing workflow process to execute contracts / addendums / material requisitions / purchase orders.
- Hold contractors accountable for the required elements of the contract.
- Provide constructability input for the planning of projects.
- Complete performance reviews for contractors.
- Interface with plant management, operations, maintenance, engineering, planning, and contractors.
- Provide schedule/cost updates to management and internal customers during work execution.
- Track and forecast expenditures against the budget for contracts.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Preferred candidate would have a bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or Business Management and five years of relevant experience. Project management experience preferred. Candidates must have demonstrated experience in most of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Self-motivated person who leads the way by setting an example.
- Willing to spend extra time to complete assigned work.
- Ability to coordinate projects in a safe manner that provides a quality product on time and within budget. Must be committed to safety as the top priority.
- Working knowledge of safe work practices and hazard control methods. OSHA 10 certification preferred.
- Working level knowledge of a computerized maintenance management system. Synergen/Oracle is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Project.
- Working knowledge of Primavera Scheduling software is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the ORI process is preferred.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with OCM team and other personnel including: subordinates, peers, superiors, vendors, contractors and other contacts.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply information from files, drawings, catalogs, reports, and manuals.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations involved in planning, estimating and purchasing.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work effectively in a highly demanding team atmosphere.
- Ability to work efficient and effective with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Must demonstrate a reputation of trust and transparency.
- Ability to effectively utilize critical path scheduling software - MS Project and Primavera
- Ability to lead meetings effectively.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the job including, but not limited to, climbing stairs, ladders, scaffolds, or platforms and access through manway doors on vessels, large diameter piping, fans, ductwork, condensers and turbines.
- Coal fired power plant experience is preferred.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding and/or Testing Required:
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Much of the time will be spent in the power plant in a noisy industrial environment. Must be able to respond on a 24-hour per day/seven day per week basis. Must have a satisfactory work record including good attendance.