UNS Energy Corporation Power Generation Supervisor - SGS Operations in Springerville, Arizona
Tucson Electric Power, one of Arizona's leading utility companies, is seeking candidates for the position of Power Generation Supervisor in the Operations section at it's power plant facility in Springerville. The Springerville Generating Station operates four coal-fired units north of Springerville - a small town community located near the beautiful White Mountains in northeastern Arizona at an elevation of approximately 7000 feet. This area is noted for it's four seasons and year round activities; including hunting, fishing, snow skiing, hiking, mountain biking and more. Presenting an excellent opportunity for those who enjoy living in a small-town environment, yet within 30 minutes of Sunrise Ski Resort and 3-4 hours from Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson and Albuquerque.
UNS Energy offers a generous package of salary, benefits and compensation. Our benefits package includes a 401k plan with a generous Company match, a Company sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
This posting may close at any time.
Primary responsibility of this position is to supervise the team responsible for the operation of mechanical, electrical and instrumentation & control equipment at the Springerville Generation Station to ensure optimum generating capabilities.
Essential Functions: (As defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, these include the following responsibilities, minimum job knowledge, skills, and abilities. This is not necessarily an all-inclusive listing.)
- Assigns and directs staff. Supervises employees and monitors activities; including safety, prioritizing workflow allocation, staffing/scheduling, and performance reviews.
- Provides direction to employees; resolves technical questions and employee relation issues to provide accurate and consistent direction and interpretations. Completes employee performance review prior to due date; provides feedback to employees during mid-cycle updates; provides direction to employees; monitors workflow to minimize backlog and customer complaints.
- Applies knowledge of assigned area and overall plant processes to resolve maintenance and operations problems.
- Reviews area operations to identify processes/procedures/operations improvements. Resolves problems considering time, equipment and tools/materials costs.
- Recognizes and anticipates employee training needs to ensure that all team employees have skills necessary to ensure competency in all aspects of the job.
- Provides assessment of employee training needs; recommends training plan and ensures employees obtain appropriate training, as identified.
- Monitors the economic operations of all equipment and takes corrective action as necessary to maintain optimum efficiency.
- Ensures Unit performs within pre-determined parameters.
- Assures the execution of dispatching directives regarding generation limits and switching procedures.
- Supports the loads/requirements of the system and has no switching errors.
- Oversees and directs all plant activities, including maintenance functions, at times when other supervisory personnel are not on duty.
- Identifies viable alternatives and plans activities to limit time delays, equipment downtime and load reduction. Demonstrates knowledge of plant processes by considering potential impact of all activities.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate records and recordkeeping systems. Manages group budget to ensure cost-effective use of resources.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date personnel, budget and job cost information. Estimates costs and analyzes actual cost variances from budget and explains differences.
- Ensure that the Company’s management principles, policies and programs are consistently practiced and continually support the Affirmative Action Plan.
- Comply with and administer the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Assume fiduciary responsibility for operating the business and provide recommendations on cost improvement measures.
- Ensure that the Performance Management program is administered uniformly and effectively.
- Administers personnel functions, including recruiting, review and approval of job descriptions and salary classifications, and selection and placement of personnel. Participates in hiring, termination, promoting, assignment and direction of staff. Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws, regulations and standards, company policies, practices and ethical obligations to investigate, evaluate and recommend appropriate resolution to employee complaints.
- Promotes and participates in the professional development, personal growth and career planning of staff. Motivate, recognize and reward, coach, counsel, train; provide feedback to employees during performance reviews. Participates in Leadership Development programs.
- Addresses disciplinary and/or performance issues, according to company policy, and communicates effectively with employees regarding corrective action. Has input into the adjustment of grievances and administration of discipline.
- Plans day-to-day operations, estimates personnel needs and schedules and assigns work. Evaluate the structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group.
Must currently be a Control Room Operator, or have a minimum of 10 years of journeyman level experience in Power Plant Operations, or have supervisory experience in a related field.
High school diploma or GED.
Knowledge of plant processes and operations.
Knowledge of equipment, parts and plant layout; budget preparation and analysis techniques.
Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision; labor agreement terms and conditions.
Computer skills necessary to complete job requirements; regulatory requirements; TEP policies and procedures.
Possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
Flexibility & Adaptability
Results & Execution Orientation
All employees are expected and required to adhere to the Company Code of Ethics and Principles of Conduct and maintain:
- Regular and predictable attendance
- Safety and situational awareness
- Confidentiality for all matters regarding highly sensitive corporate and employee information
Company: Tucson Electric Power
Location: Springerville, AZ
Job Category: Operations
Position Type: Unclassified