Southern Company Specialist, Asset Protection in Rockledge, Florida
Specialist, Asset Protection
The purpose of this position is to protect company assets from damages, encumbrances and encroachments on all distribution and transmission pipelines, their associated abutments, land right-of-ways and easement rights. This is an operational role that ensures compliance is maintained with state and federal pipeline safety regulations and standards for Southern Company Gas (SCG) and Florida City Gas (FCG).
The position will be based out of the Brevard Service Center.
• Monitor and coordinate compliance and safety issues for locating, right-of-way maintenance and submerged crossings.
• Serve as company liaison regarding Asset Protection between excavators, municipalities, builders, developers, landowners, logging operators, FCG Contractors and/or their agents/contractors, etc. by responding to and addressing any issues or concerns.
• Demonstrate knowledge proficiency of the Florida State One-Call Law.
• Conduct quality audits on locators performing locates for FCG and right-of-way contractors to ensure compliance and expected quality.
• Maintain electronic records system associated with tracking and documenting tasks performed.
• Serve as liaison to the excavating community, internal stakeholders and locators by resolving Difficult to Locate issues to ensure a proper locate is completed and no down time claim occurs.
• Conduct damage investigations to determine at-fault responsibilities. Situation to be analyzed to determine cause of damage, resulting in prevention recommendations and implementation of new strategies to prevent future excavation damage.
• Conduct education sessions with locate contractors, excavators, land owners and homeowners regarding protecting FCG assets.
• Stand-by when any work is being performed on or near FCG High Profile facilities by 2nd or 3rd party excavators to ensure FCG facilities are protected.
• Conduct patrols of the right-of-way per Federal Code192 requirements.
o Install pipeline markers as required
o Document other issues and concerns
o Continue to monitor identified issues until resolved.
• Identify remediation needs along the right-of-way and oversee the remediation efforts of contractors for areas identified.
• Coordinate submerged crossing inspections of FCG assets.
• Coordinate blasting and excavation activities on and off FCG Right-of-Ways to protect FCG assets.
• Respond to Asset Protection High Profile facilities, incidents and emergencies on and off FCG Right-of-Ways.
• Monitor monthly compliance reports to ensure resolution; i.e., aerial patrol, etc.
• Follow Company Standard ROW procedures ensuring proper forms are utilized and records remain up-to-date; i.e., encroachment agreements, right-of-way patrols and maps, etc.
• Monitor and work with the Locators to correct performance issues.
• Administer Contractor Operator Qualification (training, testing and certify)
• Serve as support to other Asset Protection team members.
• Monitor and follow-up on daily locate ticket load, as well as “High Profile” ticket activity to prevent future damages.
• Conduct research on easement and encroachment issues.
• Facilitate meetings related to Asset Protection contracts and projects prior to projects beginning.
• Represent company at Local Damage Prevention meetings.
• Provide direction and oversight to field operations to improve reporting on damages per Federal and State Requirements.
• Follow-up on potential grid issues with the One Call Center.
• Oversee and inspect all right-of-way maintenance, remediation, mowing and side trimming in assigned area to ensure it has been completed to FCG specifications.
• Support Trade Show, Industry Committees and One Call events regarding Asset Protection.
• Ensure compliance and requirements are met relating to contracts, patrols, inspections and audits.
• Assist Management in the administration of Asset Protection contracts.
• Ensure required Asset Protection documentation through Compliance Tracking Systems and SharePoint Sites or other electronic means remain up-to-date.
• Monitor OQ and training documentation for contractors and Asset Protection employees.
• Review quality issues with management and implement improvements to protect assets.
• High school diploma or GED with a State driver's license
• Associates /BA/BS degree with a Real Estate Appraisal License or equivalent academic education and experience
Related Work Experience:
• Minimum of 3 years utility field experience and 2 years experience in gas distribution field operations
• 2 years experience in locating gas
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Knowledge of quality assurance concepts.
• Computer literacy - basic proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Well developed interpersonal skills including influencing and/or negotiation.
• Operator Qualified in accordance with Company Plan: the ability to obtain within required timeline
• Knowledge of easement rights, engineering, locating and surveying principles
• Knowledge and experience with FCG pipeline system
• Knowledge of real estate terminology
• Knowledge of terms used by developers
• Bilingual skills.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Stooping, kneeling, reaching above and below shoulders; frequent bending
• Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Climbing in and out of excavations
• Extensive digging
• Carrying equipment up to 50 lbs.
• Walking long distances over various types of terrain to inspect facilitates
• Walk up to 5 miles per day
• Exposure to outdoor elements (rain, sun, heat, cold)
• 95% of time is spent in the field
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Florida-Orlando Area-Rockledge
Operating Company: Florida City Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 75 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
CGF Brevard Division - 4180 So US 1 (4180RockledgeCODE)
4180 So US 1
Req ID: GAS2000667