Southern Company Engineer/Specialty,Ops Quality Assurance in Rockledge, Florida
Engineer/Specialty,Ops Quality Assurance
Job Summary :
The purpose of this position is to conduct operational assessments of records and field activities conducted by both company and contractor crews to ensure safety and compliance with Federal and State regulaltions as well as with company operating and maintenance procedures. Findings from operational assessments are used to drive change in training, policies and
Functional Expertise :
• Performs operational assessments, both “live” and “post”, to evaluate field personnel compliance with company policies and procedures which are driven by Federal and State regulations as well as industry best practices and company-required requirements.
o Construction Operations
o Field Operations – Service & Delivery
o System Operations
o Leak Survey
• Coordinates and conducts annual audit of compliance records in advance of public service commission compliance records audits
• Conducts special audits of new/revised procedures recently implemented or of newly certified employees
• Serves as subject matter expert in interpreting company policies, procedures and O&M manuals
• Serves as Company liaison during State Public Service Commission field inspections
• Performs multiple out-of-state QA audits (record and field) at other AGLR companies to evaluate Company and contractor personnel compliance with company policies and procedures which are driven by Federal and State regulations as well as industry best practices and company-required requirements.
• Performs main hit reviews for FO - Delivery for the purpose of determine OQ disqualifications.
• Manages from start to finish assigned projects or special audits.
• Recommends updates/revisions to policies, procedures or O&M manuals based field observations where procedures may not be followed because they are not clear, incorrect or non-existent
• Provides guidance to supervisors, field personnel and training personnel on how to interpret policies, procedures and O&M/OPM manuals
• Represents QA department at supervisor roundtables and presents assessment findings for area of assessment responsibility
• Coaches supervisors on the content of the assessment form and on how to conduct effective assessments
• Promotes safe work practices by shutting down job if unsafe situation is encountered during an assessment or if activity affecting the integrity of the pipeline does not meet company standards
• Prepares assessment report and communicates assessment findings to crews, supervisors and managers
• Recommends additional training, if deemed necessary, for field personnel based on findings of field assessments
• Analyzes individual and departmental assessment findings and follows up on poor performance observed in previous assessments
• Evaluates employee performance for safety and quality workmanship.
• BS in any engineering discipline or other analytical/technical discipline; or
• Equivalent academic education and experience in System Operations activities
Related Work Experience:
• With engineering or technical bachelors degree, 2 years engineering and operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
• Without bachelors degree, 4 years engineering and operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
• 5 years extensive field operations experience in a gas utility, pipeline transmission, or other energy related field
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Thorough understanding of company policies, procedures and O&M manuals
Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and managers
Ability to effectively communicate assessment findings
MS Excel - basic proficiency
MS Word - basic proficiency
MS PowerPoint - basic proficiency
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Occasional Traveler (5-20% travel): The incumbent will be required to travel on occasion. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
This position requires constant standing or walking.
This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
The incumbent works in an office environment.
The incumbent may/will work near or with moving mechanical parts.
The incumbent may/will be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or chemicals.
The incumbent may/will be exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions.
The incumbent may/will be exposed to excessive noise.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Florida-Orlando Area-Rockledge
Operating Company: Florida City Gas
Other Locations: Florida-Metro Miami-Doral
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
CGF Brevard Division - 4180 So US 1 (4180RockledgeCODE)
4180 So US 1
City Gas Company of Florida (4045Doral)
4045 NW 97th Avenue
Req ID: GAS2000661