NextEra Energy Engineer I Tech Applications - T/S in Miami, Florida
Engineer I Tech Applications - T/S
Date:Jul 11, 2017
Primary Location:Miami, FL, US, 33134
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 9542
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today
Position Specific Description This position reports to a functional team within the Transmission & Substation (T&S) Grid Control organization responsible for the engineering, development, application architecture, implementation, and maintenance of existing and emerging applications for the Energy Management Systems (EMS) for both Transmission and Distribution Operations along with other associated applications and systems, which include but not limited to: • Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) • Alarm Processing • Automatic Generation Control (AGC) • Interchange Transactions and Power Scheduling • Unit Commitment • Economic Dispatch • Advanced Power System Applications (i.e. State Estimator, Contingency Analysis, etc.) • Operator and Dispatcher Training Simulator • Voltage and Transient Stability Analysis • Residential/Commercial/Industrial Demand Side Management (DSM) • Outage and Switch Management • Smart Grid Technologies • Situational Awareness Displays
This position requires interfacing with the following: • System Control Center Operations • Distribution Control Center Operations • EMS and Distribution Management Systems (DMS) Support Group • Power Plants • Other Workgroups throughout FPL • Reliability Coordinator (FRCC) • Adjacent utilities to coordinate model updates and troubleshoot issues • Transmission and Distribution Planning • Power Delivery Diagnostic Centers • FERC and NERC Regulatory Offices
Other expectations • Adapt to changing priorities of assignments • Must be available for on-call support to provide solutions to emergent operational issues • Must be available to report for occasional night and weekend duty during storms and system emergencies • Must be willing to take Enhanced Personnel Risk Assessment periodically •
Job Overview The position is responsible for the planning, development, application architecture, engineering, implementation, and operations of grid monitoring and control systems and corresponding applications in support of Power Delivery Business Unit.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops systems including modifying and/or de-commissioning or commissioning the associated applications, programs, and software and ensure compliance with national/regional standards
- Supports strategic opportunities and solutions through planning, development, engineering, application architecture, implementation, and operations of department emerging technologies
- Coordinates or individually contributes to assigned work plans
- Executes systems planning, systems development, operational, and/or maintenance activities of the systems and applications associated with the grid monitoring and control systems and/or emerging technology
- Performs work tasks to ensure reliable performance (availability and integrity) or project delivery of systems and applications associated with grid monitoring and control systems and emerging technology
- Supports and executes the requirements of FRCC Reliability Coordinator Operations per Company / FRCC Agent Agreement
- Ensures compliance with the NERC Reliability Standards related to the SCC with special emphasis on availability and integrity of grid monitoring and control systems and applications
- Executes Operational Excellence goals and initiatives
Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications
Bachelor’s - Engineering
Experience: 3+ years Preferred Qualifications
- Certified Professional Engineer (PE)
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certified
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certified
- Six Sigma Master Black Belt
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Engineering Organization: Florida Power & Light Company (0001) Location: Miami, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-888-845-9731 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
#LI-SC1 Nearest Major Market:Miami Job Segment:Power Systems, Energy