Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Combustion Turbine Technician I, II, III, IV or Journey Level (IRC21824) in Limon, Colorado
This position is responsible for the safe and efficient operations and maintenance of plant activities at the combustion turbine power plant. Performs plant operations and maintenance activities in an efficient and safe manner. Performs multi-unit operations and implements preventive maintenance program, conducts inspections of major equipment, including combustion turbine equipment, and adheres to proper procedures. Ensures maintenance records and status reports of plant activities are accurate and complete. Responds appropriately to emergencies such as fire, major spill, unit failure, or injured employee.
NOTE: There is one position available and it will be staffed at either the Combustion Turbine Technician I, II, III, IV or Journey Level. This decision will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform plant operations and maintenance activities in an efficient and safe manner.
- Perform multi-unit operations and implement preventive maintenance program, conduct inspections of major equipment, including combustion turbine equipment, and adhere to proper procedures. Ensure maintenance records and status reports of plant activities are accurate and complete.
- Respond appropriately to emergencies such as fire, major spill, unit failure, or injured employee.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot site and combustion turbine equipment to determine required repairs or modifications.
- Responsible for the accurate and efficient use and operation of site test and support equipment.
- Perform duties including overtime, callout, computer entries, scheduling, operation/maintenance logs, outage reports, curtailments reports, monthly forms and reports. Maintain adequate spare parts systems and track fuel pricing information and fuel availability.
- Ensure a safe start-up, operation, and shut down of the units. Coordinate (through the use of dispatch operating procedures) the hour ending unit or site loads, on or offline times, and unit outages.
- Issue Source of Power clearance when dispatch has requested the units out of service, request switching through dispatch, perform confined space entry permit, work permit, job briefings, hot work permit, 480 voltage lockout-tag out, accident reports and critical area entry.
- Recommend changes for added safety, reliability, and efficiency of the combustion turbine site equipment and operations. Maintain a first aid card and the ability to perform first aid.
- Perform proper paperwork for obtaining needed tools and equipment when working on critical projects.
- Responsible for fire system and reporting of any system outages to insurance coordinator.
- Coordinate with dispatch on unit operation, outages, status, loading, and testing. Assist in the scheduling, coordinating and arrangement of work needs on outage, parts, and tools.
- Ensure environmental regulation compliance during operation and maintenance of plant equipment.
- Ensure adherence to company policies, programs and procedures as well as Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP), Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), North American Electric Corporation (NERC), Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO) standards and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws and regulations.
- Safety: Maintain safety awareness and comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment. Properly wear and care for applicable safety gear and equipment. Identify and communicate unsafe conditions to supervisor, coworkers, and the Safety functional area and correct or assist in resolving safety concerns and issues. Must understand and comply with the Clearance Procedure as applicable.
- Culture: Demonstrate a commitment to Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Maintain CPR certification, spill/waste handling training requirements, perform CPR, apply spill/waste training, respirator training and testing, and obtain opacity certification twice per year.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Commitment to company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Associates Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Power Plant Technology or closely related area of study, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Must have strong mechanical and electrical troubleshooting and repair skills to operate and maintain combustion turbine equipment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have a satisfactory work record.
- Ability to conduct training of others in plant operation and maintenance procedures.
- The journey level combustion technician requires four (4) years of power plant experience as a plant operator, technician or similar position involving electrical, instrumentation, or mechanical operations and maintenance activities. Those with less experience would be hired at a lower job grade level.
- Willingness to work at other Power Plants within Tri-State's system, as required.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- CPR certification or ability to obtain.
- Willingness to work extra or irregular hours, shift work, weekends, holidays, call out and overnight travel as required.
- Willingness to work with high voltages, obtain switching certification, and perform high voltage switching.
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
- Must reside within 60 minutes of the base location.
- Requires physical ability adequate for strenuous work, including ability to wear a respirator.
- Willingness to travel up to 10-15% of time.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Combustion turbine operations and maintenance experience preferred.
- Electric utility experience preferred.
Job Title: Combustion Turbine Technician I, II, III, IV or Journey Level (IRC21824)
Location: Limon, CO, US
Base Location: Limon Generating Station
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran