LG&E and KU Energy Protection Systems Technician in Lexington, Kentucky
Title Protection Systems Technician
Requisition ID 3608BR
Address 745 North Limestone
Company Paid Relocation - External Provided
Job Function Transmission Operations
Position Purpose Generally works under oversight of engineers or more experienced technicians, and is responsible for performing installation, maintenance and testing of protective systems including instrument transformers, batteries, DC Circuitry, protective relays, communication systems, and all other duties related to transmission protection.
Education & Experience Associates or Bachelors degree in Instrumentation, Electronics, Engineering, Technology, Computer Science or related technical field, plus 0-3 years professional protection/relay system experience.
Preferred Qualifications • Detailed knowledge of transmission and substation equipment, including relay equipment, power line carrier equipment, station batteries, DC Circuitry, instrument transformers, station transformers, switches, and breakers.
• An ability to learn quickly, apply practical skills, and deal with rapid technological and business change.
• Ability to enter and maintain information in a database, write documentation, and manipulate data in a spreadsheet.
• Detailed knowledge of transmission protection and relay functionality.
• Proficient in reading and utilizing dc control circuitry drawings, ac three line drawings, panel wiring diagrams, equipment drawings and all other drawings associated with the protection of transmission equipment.
• Capability to work with or in close proximity of low voltage levels.
Job Description • Schedule, perform and log the required testing on the protection system according to SERC compliance standards. Protection system components include, but are not limited to, potential transformers, current transformers, DC circuits, station batteries, circuit breaker components, protective relays, communication systems, and test switches.
• Calibrate and perform functional tests on microprocessor and electromechanical type relays.
• Install, maintain, analyze, and troubleshoot digital fault recorders (DFR’s), remote terminal units (RTU’s), SCADA equipment, etc
• Independently perform and/or assist with the investigation of transmission operations and outages.
• Install, maintain and test electrical control equipment, electrical circuitry and components according to engineering specifications.
• Install, maintain and test power line carrier equipment.
• Diagnose, analyze, troubleshoot, and make recommendations related to malfunctions/failures and perform preventive/corrective maintenance on protection system equipment.
• Verify that all documentation and prints meet applicable specifications and standards and modify drawings to reflect any changes.
• Provides technical direction, training, and oversight to contractors and/or less experienced technicians.
• Coordinate with Telecom, Energy Delivery, Transmission Lines, and Transmission Substations personnel to support construction, maintenance, and testing activities.
• Enhance and establish programs that maximize results while reducing overall costs.
• Other responsibilities, as assigned
Work Conditions Substation and transmission system field work.
Regular travel is required to Transmission and Distribution sites across the LG&E and KU Servicesservice territory.
Physical Effort Frequent standing and walking. Some climbing of ladders.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Louisville Gas & Electric and Kentucky Utilities (LG&E and KU) is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity and the strength it brings to the workplace.
© LG&E and KU
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, perceived disability or any other protected characteristic as may be defined by applicable law.
Learn more about equal employment protections:
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our Human Resources department ator call 502-627-2410, and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and phone number.