Lakeland Electric Pumping Station Operator I in Lakeland, Florida
This is skilled work in the operation and maintenance of wastewater pumping stations. Work involves responsibility for the performance of a variety of mechanical and electrical trade tasks in the general maintenance and minor repair of equipment used in wastewater pumping stations. As employees gain familiarity with pumping station operations, they work independently. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed in progress and upon completion.
Example of Duties:
- Inputs data for computerized work management system.
- Monitors stations for proper operation.
- Assists with minor repairs to control systems.
- Assists with pulling pumps and cleans volutes of debris.
- Assists with performing tests of all alarm systems at pump stations.
- Assists with exercising stand-by power systems at pump stations.
- Assists with equipment lubrication as per preventive maintenance schedules.
- Performs janitorial tasks at stations.
Cleans station wet wells. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists with adjusting well levels per instructions.
- Assists with maintaining fluid levels for standby power systems.
- Hooks up portable generators during emergency conditions.
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Six (6) months of experience in electrical and mechanical work.
Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida Class "B" commercial driver's license with appropriate endorsements.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Is required to participate in the stand-by/call-out rotation, to respond to problems after normal working hours and on weekends.
- May be subject to call-out at any time when other on-call personnel require additional assistance.
- Required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Knowledge of the practices, methods and tools for maintenance performed on pumps, motors, compressors, and shop equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions peculiar to pumping station maintenance.
- Skill in the use of tools employed in the trade.
- Skill in analyzing electrical control malfunctions.
- Skill in analyzing mechanical malfunctions.
- Ability to determine the proper test equipment required for appropriate trouble-shooting.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to keep routine records and to make reports.
- Ability to use a computer for a work management system.
Ability to maintain harmonious relationships with other employees and the general public. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires physical work that involves walking, bending, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, climbing ladders and stairs, lifting up to 50 lbs., walk/work on grating surfaces at extreme heights, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to walk over uneven and/or broken surfaces and stand for long periods of time.
- The job risks exposure to significant environmental hazards. Ability to work outdoors under a variety of climatic conditions, working in extreme heat or cold. Works in confined spaces.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Pumping Station Operator I
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 06/26/17 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $16.01 - $22.53 Hourly $1,280.75 - $1,802.04 Biweekly $2,774.95 - $3,904.41 Monthly $33,299.42 - $46,852.96 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular UWUA
Location: City of Lakeland, Civil Service, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Water Utilities 15