Lakeland Electric Construction Trades Worker I in Lakeland, Florida
This is semi-skilled and skilled work in road and sewer maintenance and repair. Work involves responsibility for operation of various mechanical tools and automotive equipment to maintain City roadways. The employee works under direct supervision, and all work is inspected in progress and upon completion. Example of Duties:
- Builds forms, pours and finishes concrete, asphalt repair work, constructs, maintains, and repairs curbs, gutters, and culverts.
- Operates mechanical equipment such as concrete truck, bobcat, vibratory roller, tamper, air hammer, concrete saw, and air compressor.
- Lays storm and sewer pipe; seals joints; mixes mortar; breaks up concrete; grades work areas; loads and unloads trucks.
Operates other pieces of light, medium or heavy equipment or trucks when on call-out or in the absence of regular equipment operators or truck drivers. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
High School diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Six (6) months of experience in roadway and/or sewer construction, maintenance and repair.
- Must be able to pass and maintain training in: Traffic Control, Trenching and Shoring and Confined Space. (C&M; Division) Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain Class "A" or "B" CDL with appropriate endorsements as are required by the employing department within six (6) months of employment.
- Preference will be given to applicants who currently possess a valid state of Florida class "A" or "B" commercial driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Knowledge of the equipment, material, and practices used in highway and bridge maintenance and repair.
- Basic knowledge of concrete finishing techniques and asphalt repair work.
- Basic knowledge of the applicable work safety rules and procedures.
- Skill in the use of concrete finishing tools
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Ability to safely operate mechanical hand tools and light automotive equipment.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects.
- Ability to withstand working outside in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work below the ground in confined work areas.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires working in extreme weather condition. Walking or standing the majority of the time. Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds.
- Requires working in confined spaces, high traffic areas and deep trenches.
- The job risks exposures to high-pressure gas lines, underground high voltage electrical lines, high-pressure gas lines and hazardous environments.
*All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced. *
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Construction Trades Worker I
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $13.83 - $21.45 Hourly $1,106.15 - $1,716.00 Biweekly $2,396.66 - $3,718.00 Monthly $28,759.88 - $44,616.02 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Civil Service, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: PW 11