NextEra Energy Summer College Intern - Data Science in Juno Beach, Florida
Summer College Intern - Data Science
Date:Sep 15, 2017
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 14333
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description NextEra Energy provides innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that enable low cost, reliable and sustainable power systems. This internship in the Generation Systems will include developing machine learning, optimization, or other modeling solutions to renewable energy analytics problems. These problems include generation loss analysis, warranty and parts optimization. The candidate achieves successful results by effectively applying analytical solutions, understanding results and articulating results to other business units.
Primary Job Functions Include:
- Acquiring, manipulating, transforming, and visualizing datasets
- Understanding business problem and developing performance targets
- Developing machine learning, optimization, or other modeling solutions as required
- Evaluating algorithms and recommending solutions.
The internship will provide mentoring and practical hands-on experience in a corporate setting, and exposure to business unit activities; leadership and culture (e.g. staff meetings, networking, and meetings with key personnel). The position will based in Juno Beach, FL.
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a bachelor’s degree program OR graduate program in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, or a related field.
- Familiar with regression and classification techniques (RF, SVM, LR, time-series models, etc)
- Proficient in statistical analysis packages (R, Python, STRATA or Matlab)
- Advanced abilities with MS Applications, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in Java, Scala, SQL, or other programming languages.
- Knowledge of data storage technologies and modeling
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. Job Overview Employees in the role will be provided mentoring and practical hands on experience for relevant career-related activities encountered in the student’s area of study or specialization. To be considered for this position the applicant must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. Candidate must also have a current GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities • Assists department with assigned projects • Completes challenging projects and assignments • Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship • Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications • High School Grad / GED Preferred Qualifications • Effective Written Communications • Effective Verbal Communications
Employee Group: Non Exempt Employee Type: Intern Job Category: Intern Organization: NextEra Energy Resources, LLC (0010) Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Nearest Major Market:Palm Beach Nearest Secondary Market:Miami Job Segment:Sustainability, Power Systems, Energy