Southern Company Liquefied Natural Gas Bunkering Technician in Jacksonville, Florida
Liquefied Natural Gas Bunkering Technician
This position is responsible for staging, loading liquid natural gas (LNG) onto ships, inspecting, troubleshooting, calibrating, maintaining, performing preventative maintenance, and assisting with design, engineering, development and/or upgrade of LNG ship bunkering at the Jacksonville port facility. The LNG Technician must ensure that the facilities under his/her responsibilities are maintained so as to operate in a safe, reliable, and efficient
Position is located in Jacksonville, FL.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintains equipment and systems including large industrial machinery and equipment, electrical, electronic, pneumatic and control loops associated with ship bunkering operations to ensure the safe, reliable and efficient operation of the facility.
• Installs, programs, inspects, calibrates, maintains, operates, troubleshoots, repairs and adjusts various electric, electronic, and pneumatic devices, including Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), security/surveillance systems, and large industrial machinery and equipment.
• Performs scheduled compliance and/or maintenance checks and/or work orders on all equipment under his/her responsibilities. Must maintain records on computer system to ensure compliance with state, federal, port and Company policies and regulations.
• Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings including electrical and control schematics, P&IDs, and piping drawings.
• Properly, legibly, and accurately documents all equipment inspection and maintenance activities for facilities under his/her responsibilities, and prepares required reports completely and accurately. Ensures that all technical drawings and documentation are kept current and secure, both electronically and hard copy.
• Responds appropriately to abnormal operating conditions in order to maintain a safe and reliable operating environment.
• Responds appropriately to Emergency Response situations and performs first responder duties in accordance with the Emergency Response Plan.
• Maintains LNG bunkering systems and generator equipment (e.g., repairs leaks, checks vacuum, calibrates instruments and performs pressure tests).
• Performs inventory control functions utilizing the Corporate material management system.
• Prioritizes/plans PM’s to meet the needs of the LNG bunkering facility and equipment.
• Responsible for understanding and support of corporate and department objectives and goals.
• Strives to promote continuous improvement of facilities and equipment to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable operation of facilities.
• Identify and report operational issues that may impact facility reliability or efficiency.
• Identify and report operational issues that may impact compliance with regulations or company policies and procedures.
• Orders specialty replacement parts: researches options (price, lead time); prepares quarterly maintenance budget. Performs fabrications and provides technical assistance to contractors during capital projects. Completes small capital projects.
• Must be a team player, able to work and communicate effectively with peers, direct supervision and management, and effectively participate during internal and/or agency audits.
• Must be self-motivated and hold self accountable for job duties and responsibilities.
• Participates in Company sponsored technical training programs, cross-training assignments, job shadowing, and orientation of new hires to improve knowledge and skills of self and others.
• Collaborate with management and peers, internal groups, consultants and contractors to assist with improving existing operations, special projects, new construction, and expansion of existing facilities.
• Promotes good relations with all customers (i.e., commercial, ship, port, gas supply, other operating facilities, LNG plants, management, etc.) and cooperates with other personnel and/or departments.
• Works with peers to continually improve system efficiency and reliability.
• Effectively collaborates with others to plan, schedule, measure and evaluate work activities to ensure that facilities continually operate safely, reliably and efficiently.
• Strives to continually maintain facilities in an efficient and reliable manner by utilizing knowledge of facilities, peer knowledge/expertise, new technology, best practices, and/or tools available to maximize system efficiency and reliability.
Associates degree in a technical field, or equivalent education and/or related experience
Valid state driver’s license
Applicant must be able to pass a DOT physical and background check in order to obtain both a Transportation Workers Identification Card and a JaxPort identification card.
Maintains tanker and hazardous materials CDL endorsments.
Related Work Experience:
Experience in specialized machinery maintenance; or instrumentation, electronics and control systems; or equivalent.
Related work experience in instrumentation, electronics and control systems.
Related work experience in specialized machinery maintenance.
Working experience with, but not limited to: cryogenics, low and high pressure water pumps, electronic equipment, high pressure gas, processing equipment, reciprocating and/or turbine engines and compressors, PLCs and SCADA/HMI system.
Experience preparing drawings of electrical circuits
Working knowledge of National Electric Code
Experience reading and interpreting electrical and mechanical blueprints and diagrams, and piping drawings
Process controls and understanding of gas and liquid handling and processing fundamentals
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Must be able to pass DOT Operator Qualification requirements for specific covered tasks.
Ability to prepare written and electronic reports in a clear and concise manner.
Proficient understanding and use of the English language.
Ability to interact effectively with others
Motivated, with good communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and diagrams.
Good computer skills (i.e., Word, Excel, MS Outlook, etc.).
Knowledge of pipeline, compression, process, LNG, LP, and/or storage field operations.
Basic knowledge of gas handling/processing equipment.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The incumbent works in a shipping port-plant environment, including high pressure gas, cryogenic liquids, and other hazardous materials.
The incumbent is expected to be available for emergency call outs (24/7) and to work weekends, holidays, and extended hours as required, per the needs of the facility.
Lift and carry medium to heavy weight items.
Reach overhead for items, stoop, bend, and twist while working.
Ability to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently.
Other physical activities include working on elevated structures, crouching, and performing repetitive motions.
Visual acuity requirements include color, depth perception and field of vision necessary to operate a computer.
Travel requirements may be occasional (5% – 20%).
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Florida-Jacksonville Area-Jacksonville
Operating Company: Pivotal LNG
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: No
Jacksonville LNG (JacksonvilleLNG)
9225 Dames Point Road
Req ID: GAS2000371