Eversource Energy Manager, Financial Planning & Budgeting in Berlin, Connecticut
Job Description Summary:
This position is responsible for leading the overall corporate process for Department Budgeting & Planning. Directs the monthly departmental budgeting meetings to discuss results, identify issues and revise forecasts. Works with other Finance & Accounting managers to incorporate emerging financial and accounting issues into the budget and revised forecasts. Serves as the direct liaison between Budgeting and Forecasting and the client business shared service areas. Implements and administers the corporation’s budgetary control systems. Develops tools and procedures for daily, weekly and monthly management and assessment of Company-wide department spending budgets, and review and analysis of proposed investments. This position is responsible for preparing annual forecasts pertaining to department expenditures across the corporation. Analyzes operating results to determine amount and causes of variance from the budget. Ensures that accounting, finance, budget and regulatory practices are incorporated within the management decision making processes. The position is also responsible for the development and management of the Board of Trustee financial reporting process.
• Annually, leads development of the department spending budgets (O&M and capital expense) for the Corporation.
• Assists with the development, analysis and oversight of the Corporate Annual Operating Planning Process. Leads and advised the corporate shared service groups in the development of the annual budget presentation to senior management.
• Validates that budgets are reasonable, in line with planning and staffing assumptions, and expectations of individual areas. Validates O&M expense by component, i.e., labor, overtime, incentives and materials.
• Works directly with the Chief Financial Officer and the V.P. of Financial Planning & Analysis regarding preparation, reporting and monitoring of O&M and capital budgets.
• Documents all related processes and procedures including the Corporate Budget Manual. Ensures compliance with GAAP, FASB and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
• Provides financial consultation to business area managers in their assessment of operating initiatives and the financial implications on corporate and budgeting decisions, as well as Company profitability.
• Develops and reviews key O&M calculations, including benefit loader rates, labor accrual and pension deferral amounts, and overhead capitalization rates.
• Provides modeling tools, guidelines and assistance to business units, as requested, to aid in the development of their financial plans. Streamlines and automates processes to satisfy the demand for information and analysis.
• Ensures costs are recorded within the proper Company and account.
• Responsible for hiring, development and leadership of financial analyst staff.
• Works directly with the CFO in the development and management of financial reporting to the Board of Trustees.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills and knowledge of financial planning, budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Also requires the ability to understand the financial impact of business decisions and make independent decisions regarding financial analysis issues and methods. Requires strong communications and presentation skills, and the ability to use desktop applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, related discipline or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree or MBA preferred.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years' in Finance/Accounting, with exposure to financial planning, budgeting and forecasting, expense and capital budgeting techniques, generally accepted accounting principles, and internal accounting controls. Supervisory experience strongly preferred.
Licenses & Certifications: CPA preferred
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Who we are:
Eversource Energy (NYSE:ES), a Fortune 500 and Standard & Poor’s 500 energy company based in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, operates New England’s largest energy delivery system. Eversource is committed to safety, reliability, environmental leadership and stewardship, and expanding energy options for its 3.7 million electric and natural gas customers. We are a company dedicated to our customers, communities and employees. We know that our success depends on the best efforts of our engaged team- diverse, talented and dedicated individuals who take pride in their work, know and exhibit the value of teamwork and collaboration, and support each other in working safely every day.