Eversource Energy Lead Engineer, Grid Modernization (Westwood, MA or Berlin, CT) in Berlin, Connecticut
Job Description Summary:
Lead Engineer is responsible for overseeing execution of the Company’s implementation plans related to modernization of the design and operation of the Company’s electric distribution system.Individual will lead multi-disciplinary teams responsible for all phases of implementation including technology review and selection; defining project budget, scope and timeline; project management; internal and external reporting and tracking; and stakeholder engagement.Individual will also support efforts to research and develop plans for additional modernization opportunities including investigation and assessment of new tools and technologies relevant to the modernization of the electric distribution system and engagement with external counterparts, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams across three states from distribution engineering, system planning, substation engineering, telecommunications engineering, standards, system operations, field operations, IT, regulatory, legal, community relations, corporate strategy and other groups to ensure effective and efficient implementation of grid modernization programs.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for grid modernization technologies such as distribution automation, DSCADA, distributed generation interconnection, energy storage, microgrids, and distribution management systems.
- Coordinate review and assessment of technology options related to grid modernization, including working with internal teams to execute competitive procurement processes.
- Oversee development of project approval documentation with need statement, scope, description of technical solution, alternatives considered, risks and mitigations, budget and timeline.
- Ensure rigorous project management is exercised in implementation of all grid modernization projects, including identification and correction of any risks to schedule or budget.
- Manage all internal and external tracking and reporting requirements associated with grid modernization programs, including reporting of metrics related to the achievement of project benefits.
- Ensure the Company’s grid modernization strategic priorities are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Investigate new technologies and tools in the industry, and assess the relevance of and benefit to the Company’s grid modernization efforts.
- Communicate the Company’s grid modernization initiatives externally as appropriate and participate in industry forums to support the Company’s position regarding best practices in grid modernization.
Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology (MS in Engineering or MBA preferred).Minimum of eight (8) years in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry.Supervisory experience preferred.
Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as load flow, stability voltage regulation, power factor, losses etc.; strong analytical skills including experience using qualitative tools in strategic development; demonstrated business development aptitude with strong presentation skills; familiarity with grid modernization technologies; strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization; demonstrated competency and proficiency in oral and written communications. Ideal candidate is customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader; and makes sound decisions to support strategic objectives.Travel throughout the service territory is frequently required.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Who we are:
Eversource Energy (NYSE:ES), a Fortune 500 and Standard & Poor’s 500 energy company based in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, operates New England’s largest energy delivery system. Eversource is committed to safety, reliability, environmental leadership and stewardship, and expanding energy options for its 3.7 million electric and natural gas customers. We are a company dedicated to our customers, communities and employees. We know that our success depends on the best efforts of our engaged team- diverse, talented and dedicated individuals who take pride in their work, know and exhibit the value of teamwork and collaboration, and support each other in working safely every day.