Southern Company Concerns Coordinator in Atlanta, Georgia
This position resides in the Corporate Compliance department of the General Counsel organization. The position provides confidential, neutral, and independent investigations of alleged misconduct of the company’s employees and agents, whether the alleged conduct might be considered illegal or unethical, and possible violations of company policies, laws, or regulations. The Coordinator will ensure that issues are properly investigated, facts identified, and investigative results are discussed with appropriate management. The Coordinator ensures that effective and confidential communication is maintained throughout the process with all individuals involved and any related parties.
• Bachelors of Science /Bachelors of Arts is preferred. Master’s degree or law degree is desired
• Five years of experience (corporate, non-profit organization, or academic) and three years or more of direct lead experience in the scoping of an investigation, creating an investigation strategy and plan, and investigation techniques (interviewing, information gathering, etc.), using discernment and judgment for reaching a conclusion on each investigation, report writing, and communication of results.
• Ability to demonstrate a high level of ethical behavior, integrity, and trust in both job related and personal activities to create a high level of trust and credibility in the Concerns Program. Must be able to handle sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality to the extent necessary.
• Working knowledge of HR policies and practices, employment laws, and labor issues.
• General knowledge of significant laws and regulations to be able to recognize important issues that could become employee or contractor concerns.
• Effective working relationships and interpersonal skills.
• Ability and desire to collaborate as a team with other Concerns and Compliance personnel.
• Ability to tolerate stress and provide a stable level of performance under pressure and/or opposition. Must maintain a controlled demeanor, composure, and objectivity when confronted with difficult issues.
• Strong interpersonal, facilitative, negotiating, and presentation skills to effectively communicate, and consult with senior management, employees, and contractors.
• Sensitivity and ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and maintain an objective understanding of different perspectives.
• Effective coordination and investigation skills including planning, interviewing, listening, gathering, and analyzing information, developing appropriate win-win resolutions.
• Strong oral and written communication, evaluation, and analytical skills.
• Effective problem solving ability and ability to relate and compare data from different sources, identify issues or potential issues, secure relevant information, critically and objectively evaluate situations, and make sound factual decisions.
• Ability to influence others toward appropriate decisions and actions.
• Ability to effectively deliver difficult messages to all levels of employees and management.
• Flexibility to changing demands and establishing priorities.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage administrative responsibilities to ensure that proper records are maintained to support investigation results.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead internal investigations including, but not limited to: (1) development of appropriate investigative strategies and plans, (2) performing or leading interviews, (3) communication of concerns and providing investigation updates to responsible executive management, (4) timely completion of investigation, (5) review of investigative results to ensure that scope objectives have been met and that investigative files are complete and “best in class,” (6) immediate reporting to Concerns Manager, Compliance Directors, and/or Compliance Officer if results of investigation establish material violation of the law, officer misconduct, or financial reporting inaccuracies, (7) ensuring that appropriate facts of the case are reflected in a well written report, (8) making a decision based upon the facts of each case if the concern was substantiated or unsubstantiated, (9) identifying root causes and offering management suggestions as appropriate to impact working environments and gaps in skills and behaviors of employees and supervisors/managers, (10) discussing the case with and responding to management questions, (11) maintaining an appropriate level of confidentiality of concerns critical to the credibility of the program, and (12) when necessary, consulting with responsible company officers on the closure of investigations and adequacy of management’s response to taking appropriate correction action.
• Gather and organize Concerns investigation statistics and information for internal publications and reports to Compliance department leadership and other functional officers and committees as appropriate.
• Working with the Concerns Manager to initiate appropriate and effective program communication and training to ensure that all employees and contractors are aware of the Concerns Program and how it works.
• Soliciting feedback from employees and contractors who filed concerns for identifying program improvements that may be warranted, and for input on the effectiveness of investigators themselves.
• Resolve exceptions reported on the annual Compliance Questionnaire.
• Participate in the New Employee Orientation training, New Supervisor Training, providing new employees with information about the Concerns Program and processes, and their Duty to Act.
• Make presentations to leadership teams and employee councils about the Concerns Program and process.
• Assist Concerns Manager with tasks associated with creation, revisions, and organization of system-wide and Southern Company Services (SCS) policies and standards.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America?s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune?s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com .
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Government & Regulatory Affairs
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Southern Company Headquarters - 30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW (30ATLANTA)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW
Req ID: SCS2006788