Southern Company Analyst I,Financial in Atlanta, Georgia
The purpose of this position is to perform basic level financial analysis, modeling and planning to support business activities. This could be either a shared service or operations role focused on providing support and insight to decision makers.
Functional Expertise :
• Supports business areas in plan creation (budgets, forecasts and strategic)
• Provides business area value added analysis and reporting (monthly variance reporting, trending, projections, presentations and ad-hoc analysis) to support business decision makers
• Works with business area leaders to achieve desired results
• Provides support for journal entries to close the books
• Supports business area needs (non-budget/finance)
• Analyzes financial and non-financial data to help drive business decisions
• Articulates results, variances and key drivers effectively
• Demonstrates knowledge of the business and industry in analyses
• Updates scenario models
• Develops recommendations and alternatives to meet objectives
• Collaborates with business area to understand trends and initiatives (current and future)
• Builds effective relationships with business area(s) supported
• Communicates effectively with all levels of the business area supported
• Influences business decisions by sharing analyses and expertise
• Supports business user needs for FP&A system tools and templates
• Monitors results versus plan and works with business leaders to achieve desired results
• Identifies process and/or profit improvements
BA/BS Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance (or comparable degree)
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Related Work Experience:
Up to 2 years experience performing financial analysis, planning, and management reporting
Experience working with senior executives on an individual and team basis
Utility, natural gas or other energy industry experience
Applicant may possess a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Working knowledge of PeopleSoft financial, budgeting and reporting systems or similar systems
MS Excel – intermediate to advanced proficiency
MS Office Suite – intermediate proficiency
General knowledge of accounting
Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The incumbent works in an office environment.
Infrequent Traveler (0-5% travel): The incumbent may be required to travel on a very limited basis. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Finance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2000651