DTE Energy Regional Operations Manager in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Job Title: Regional Operations Manager
- Regional Operations Manager*
DTE Biomass Energy, Inc.
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
To operate and maintain seven landfill gas to energy (LFGTE) facilities using safe operating practices and in a
manner which meets environmental regulations while optimizing the financial results of the project. Successfully manage over a dozen facility managers and technicians and report to Vice President of Operations.
- Principal Duties and Responsibilities*
Responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen at assigned sites, specifically:
Creating realistic operating and capital budgets, and meeting or exceeding those budgets
Creating and sustaining a safety culture and safety skillset that values employee well-being over production
Pro-actively identifying and solving environmental risks before they become problems
Supporting new project development through technical expertise and financial inputs
Building a team of talented individuals capable of running sites without day to day guidance
Lead continuous improvement efforts to improve profitability, safety, and environmental compliance
Manage relationship with customers, landfill host, public, and regulators
Assist in problem solving of plant issues
Conduct ad-hoc financial analysis, engineering analysis, contract reviews, and public relations presentations.
Work with industry trade groups and other Regional Operations Managers to move the entire industry forward.
Build out and maintain landfill gas collection systems necessary for environmental compliance and maximum fuel to the facility.
Make concise, well-thought recommendations to Sr. Managementu
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities*
• Required: A Bachelor’s degree with 10 years relevant work experience in the energy industry or an Associates Degree with 20 years of relevant work experience in the energy industry.
• Desired: MBA or Masters degree in technical field
• Experience with landfill gas to energy industry or similar production
• Experience in gas processing and/or power generation operations
• Knowledge of mechanical, electrical and instrument control systems
• Knowledge of manufacturing equipment such as motors, blowers, controls and pumps
• Ability to perceive and analyze problems, develop solutions and make or recommend sound alternatives
• Experience with budgeting, construction, commercial agreements
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisor, management,
customers, clients and vendors
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Professional demeanor effectively representing DTEBE in various circumstances
• Dedication to safe work practices
• Ability to efficiently handle competing priorities and tasks remaining organized to meet deadlines
• Ability to function within a matrix organizational structure which employees report to both business and
• Proficient in MS Office applications
• From time to time, employee will be required to work outside of normal work hours.
• Will be required to respond to call-outs (plant upset conditions) outside of normal work hours
- Physical Demands*
The physical demands characterized here epitomize those that must be met by an employee to properly
perform the integral functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In order to properly perform the integral functions of this job, the employee is routinely required to reach with
hands or arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, feel and smell. The employee must be able to walk on shallow
and steep slopes. Frequently the employee will be required to stand, walk, and sit. It is crucial to the outcome
of job tasks that the employee is able to use hands and fingers to handle and manipulate object as well as to
talk and hear.
The employee in this classification will be required to frequently lift objects of up to 25 pounds in weight.
Occasionally, the employee will have to lift or move objects of up to 50 pounds in weight.
Vision requirements for this position include close, distance and peripheral vision, along with depth perception.
- Working Conditions*
Employee will be based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan and will be expected to be living in the area. Travel outside of Michigan is expected to be 25-40% of the time. While at sites, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions,including wet and/or humid conditions, and extreme cold and/or heat. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color,*
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic*
information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.*
Requisition ID: 18423