First Energy Corp. Nuclear Spent Fuels Management Engineer in Akron, Ohio
Nuclear Spent Fuels Management Engineer
Location: Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Engineering
Employee Type: Reg Full Time (FT)
Requisition ID: 184
FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 17,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company (FENOC), a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEG]
Participates in the development and implementation of nuclear spent fuel management strategies and programdevelopment/implementation.
• Developing and maintaining the FENOC Spent Fuel Management Business Plan,
• Doing 50.59 and 72.48 reviews
• Developing and implementing spent fuel management related procurement specifications.
• Providing spent fuel characterization.
• Performing dry cask storage fuel selection calculations.
• Owning of the spent fuel management section of the Nuclear Fuel Assessment Report.
• Owning various spent fuel management process documents.
• Representing the Nuclear Fuel Department in the annual DOE Settlement Agreement reconciliation effort,
• Providing support for site spent fuel pool activities such as dry cask loading campaigns, spent fuel pool sipping campaigns,spent fuel inspections, in-situ neutron absorber attenuation testing.
• Coordinating fleet site responses to NRC, DOE or other spent fuel related information requests,
• Providing spent fuel related budget input
• Reviewing and providing input to the spent fuel decommissioning study.
• Providing oversight and governance for the FENOC Dry Cask Storage (DCS) program.
• Developing and maintaining DCS program guidance and processes,
• Facilitating DCS system and Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation (ISFSI) licensing basis, and licensing issueresolution.
• Serving as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the DCS systems and processes.
• Providing support to training as the subject matter expert on the DCS systems.
• Developing and implementing DCS system aging management programs.
• Developing and maintaining the DCS Operating Experience (OE) and lessons learned database.
• Leading the benchmarking, self-assessment, and readiness review activities associated w
• Representing FENOC at various industry meetings and on various task force teams.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required (Nuclear Engineering preferred)
• Minimum of 5 years of professional-level engineering experience in the commercial nuclear industry required.
• Prior experience with Dry Cask Storage and/or Spent Fuel Management is preferred.
• Prior experience with both Pressurized Water Reactors (PWR) and Boiling Water Reactors (BWR) is preferred.
• Ability to interact with both industry and company peers, as well as all levels of FENOC management.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
• Should possess strong organization and analytical abilities.
• Should demonstrate a questioning attitude and demonstrate a strong commitment to nuclear safety culture.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Manager, Nuclear, Nuclear Engineering, Procurement, Engineer, Management, Energy, Engineering, Operations